RECENT BOOKS REVIEWED
For Ms. Magazine guest blog:
Lynn Peril’s fiendish Swimming in the Steno Pool
Wendy Kline’s Bodies of Knowledge about the women’s health movement of the 1970s.
Two new biographies of Charlotte Perkins Gilman
- How Iris Chang Became a Verb, Salon, December 1, 2004.
- Kobe and the New Currency of ‘No”, In These Times, September 23, 2003
- Clinton Failed to Recognize Sexual Generation Gap, Chicago Tribune, October 11, 1998
- Our Hillary Ourselves: Where pundits hiss, working women applaud the First Lady, Salon Magazine, February 11, 1998
- Erasing Rape: Media Hype, An Attack on Sexual-Assault Research, Extra! November/December 1993
- Twentysomething, Feminist and Proud of It, Chicago Tribune, August 11, 1991
- Feminism, A Dirty Word, New York Times, November 23, 1990
- Lefty Schmefty: It’s Time for Me to Hop the Conservative Gravy Train, Washington Post, April 21, 1996 (Also printed in Shiny Adidas Track Suits and the Death of Camp: The Best of Might Magazine,Berkley Boulevard, 1998)
- Camping Out in Suburban Babylon, Grey City Journal, April 29, 1994
CONTRIBUTOR TO THE FOLLOWING ANTHOLOGIES
Excerpt from All in My Head published in Are We Feeling Better Yet? Women Speak about Health Care in America, edited by Colleen McKee and Amanda Stiebel (PenUltimate Press, 2009).
- Section on “Redefining the Family and Relationships” from Her Way reprinted in Family in Transition, 12/E, edited by Arlene S. Skolnick and Jerome H. Skolnick, New York University (Allyn & Bacon, 2003 revised edition).
- Paula Kamen’s satire, “Operation Queen Esther,” published in early 2002 in
the anthology Appeal to Reason: The First Twenty-Five Years of In These Times
- The Best Stage Scenes 1999, excerpting one scene from Jane),Smith & Kraus, 2000.
- The Best Women’s Stage Monologues 1999, excerpting two monologues from Jane: Abortion and the Underground.
- The Best Men’s Stage Monologues 1998, excerpting two monologues from the one-act comedy Seven Dates with Seven Writers (Smith & Kraus 1999)
- Section on “women’s locker room talk” from Her Way excerpted in the women’s health anthology, For Women Only!, co-edited by Barbara Seaman and Gary Null
(Seven Stories Press, 1999)
- Shiny Adidas Track Suits and the Death of Camp: The Best of Might Magazine (Berkley Boulevard, 1998)
- “Bad Girls”/”Good Girls”: Women, Sex, and Power in the Nineties, edited by Donna Perry and Nan Bauer Maglin (Rutgers University Press, 1996). Essay, “Acquaintance Rape: Revolution and Reaction,” reporting on the social impact of anti-rape campus activists.(This essay excerpted in Greenhaven Press‘ Opposing Viewpoints series 1997 volume; Sexual Violence, Making Sense of Women’s Lives, edited by Michele Plott and Lauri Umansky, (San Diego: Collegiate Press, 2000); and Women and the National Experience: Primary Sources in American History, edited by Ellen Skinner, Addison Wesley Longman, 2002, 2010); and Violence and Gender: An Interdisciplinary Reader, edited by Kimberly K. Eby and Paula Ruth Gilbert, Prentice Hall, 2004. And, due in fall 2013: Mari Jo Buhle, Terry Murphy, Jane Gerhard, A Concise Women’s History, Penguin Academic Edition, 1st edition. (ID: 22693)
- Feminist Fatale argument condensed and excerpted in Greenhaven Press‘ Opposing Viewpoints series 1995 volume Feminism)
- Next: Young American Writers On The New Generation (W.W. Norton, 1994) Essay, “My Bourgeois Brand of Feminism,” about author’s views for a more mass-based movement.